There were a few big challenges to overcome in the course of this project.
On the technical side, we needed to connect the web page to a much more complex manufacturing software. Apparently it is possible to customize the sofas in much more detail than is relevant to the customers. In addition, the manufacturing software was being developed and expanded at the same time, so together with the client, we worked out what was the most important for customers to be able to choose and change about their sofas and what needed to be already decided for them. In the end, we made it possible to choose the type and tone of the fabric, the size and shape of the sofa, but also there’s a selection of legs and you can even choose how soft the seat part should be.
To find the optimal balance for managing the content of the page, we had to analyze how practical it would be to interpret data from the manufacturing software and how much the administrators of the page would need to enrich it with media and multilingual content.
When it came to the work process, the client had a lot of brilliant ideas and it was our job (and challenge) to somewhat limit them to the ones that were actually needed and to figure out where to draw the line in order to finish the project. This led us to the MVP that was launched in 2020. We have built quite a few new features on top of the original scope and this has taught us much more about the need and possibilities of refactoring.